Friday 3 May 2013

BA Flight 0065 direct from LHR to Nairobi - notebook entries

 "Given my destination and my complete lack of exposure to African culture, it is unsurprising that my last few days have been unsettled and virtually sleepless. I am somewhat happier now I am on the plane. It's a bit trickier to bail on this now. I have only a vague idea of what to expect and, I suppose, that makes it all the more exciting...    ...So I must settle to my reading in prehospital horror stories, aeromedical physiology and basic Swahili to pass the hours flying south towards Kenya."

"Interesting, as I pass over the Nile at about 40,000 feet, the temperature is minus 50degrees C and if we depressurised we would have 60 seconds  of useful consciousness before the oxygen was literally sucked out of us."

"Nairobi has emerged from the dark. It is a smudge of dull light in a scattering of pinpoints and no hint there is anything else out there. After the endless sprawl of London it is another world. Outside temp 19 degrees C. Local time 21:00"

No comments:

Post a Comment